Tuesday, February 26, 2008

This Too Shall Pass

Sigh.

A week has passed since my last posting. When I started this blog, my goal was to write almost every day (I make attempts at realism). I've missed *being* in this space. With you. Thinking.

I'm assuming that many of us have stood at the ocean at one point in time and watched waves form, build, then break, and recede. (I'm heading somewhere with this ... promise). Well, I sort of feel like life is the ocean ... with seasons of life building, breaking, receding, and so the cycle continues. And, on a much smaller scale, last week was a wave-breaker kinda' week. Bills, Schoolwork, Phone Calls to Be Returned, Laundry to Be Done, Calories to Be Burnt ... all of these "to do-s" were building, Building, BUILDING ... until the force of the water had to break, to topple down, to splay out and recede. And the thing is, a surfboard was nowhere in sight. So, I did the duck and cover, trying to protect the most vulnerable parts of myself from getting too wet and waiting for the water to recede so that I could survey the damage. And there's been some. Bills are late. Pants "hug" a little more. A paper and thank you note are both overdue. But, I'm standing up, watching the water level inch its way down from my waist to my knees. And this weekend, Lord willing, I will acquire at least one night of sleep that hits the double digits (hour-wise). I'll clean up the messes, write the thank you note, send the paper to the professor with a heap of groveling attached, and well, go to the gym. This too shall pass.

My mom taught me that quote. And I've found it comforting on more than one occasion. But, today I think of both sides of that coin. Eventually, my home will be clean; the dishes will be done; the pants will hang looser. And that too, will pass. The crests and the troughs. The cycle of life.

So, today I sit heaped under a load of to do-s ... my fingers still pruned up from too much H20. But, I think I'll stop a moment, wipe my eyes, look around and enjoy the view, the wet hair, the sand beneath my feet. Because ... this is my life. And it too, will pass.

2 comments:

jessamyn said...

I "get" this post Sus. I do. I was just thinking about what I can do...JUST FOR TODAY.
Sometimes all we can do is get washed up and prune-like and then season of catching rays on the dry land just cut in out of nowhere.
Enjoy your swim while your out there! much love.

telluride said...

oh my sweetheart...you make my heart swoon. being caught up in the scientific corners me into the sharp edges of black and white... when i long to be in the soft flexible splotches of gray. our schools are so different, but should be more similar as they are made to help fellow humans. sometimes i ebb and flow with the thoughts of sunset and physiology, a calm breeze and being drilled by supierors. (sigh) miss you tons.