It is early Monday morning, or late Sunday night ... however you want to look at it. And I am shortly off to bed. But I had to write and share this moment with you.
The house is quiet; roomies are both asleep. Charlie lays next to me, his head -- eyes closed -- is draped over my ankle. He sleeps. I made a key lime pie tonight, as I'm having my small group over to the house for a Cinco de Mayo dinner. And I'm marinating chicken ... in lime juice, cilantro, tequila, and red pepper. It's in the fridge. The dishwasher's going. And the counter is antibacterialized. The world is quiet.
I crave quiet, which is perhaps why I love late evenings and early mornings so much. I feel sort of ridiculous saying that my favorite time of day is when it's NOT day, but that's the truth. It feels so right in my spirit to wind down with the setting sun, and start again with its rising. It feels like a reminder of our humanity. I think it's kinda easy to lose touch with our humanity in this fast world in which we live. Phone lines, internet lines, jet engines, instant message ... these all enable us to live beyond our own capacities. We can get half-way around the world in a matter of hours; we can speak to someone in a different hemisphere by simply picking up the phone; we can take photos of our morning, and our loved ones will see them on our blog that afternoon ... even when they live states away. It's a wonderful blessing in so many ways ... all this technology ... but I think it often disconnects us from ourselves. We no longer feel the lengths our legs can carry us; we don't live by the speed of our hands. All of that to say, I feel more connected to myself in these quiet moments. The noise goes; I hear me. And not just me. I hear life. I hear the cadence of passing time, sense the rotation of our axis as we whiz through space (not literally:), I feel the feelings that had been tucked away; I realize who I forgot to call.
And it's a lovely gift ... this quiet. This chance to look the day over and wrap it up.
I wish you sweet dreams wherever you are, and pray we can meet again in the new morning.
1 comment:
I love this so much because I felt the quietude in your writing. On the rare occasion that I wake up before everyone else in the house...I always enjoy that still time. I have been wanting to really put forth the effort to try and do that on a regular basis. This post just might give me the boost I need. I think about how much we live beyone our capacity through technology a LOT. It is always healthy to ponder these things...I think!
And...that key lime pie sounds so refreshing. Wish I could join you for a Cinco de Mayo feast!
Post a Comment