So I payed off my car loan today. Now, granted, I bought it used, and it has over 100,000 miles on it. But, it's a Toyota and I'm crossing my fingers I've still got a few more years with it. And, it's all mine!! :) Seriously, though, this feels like a milestone, a small milestone, but a milestone nonetheless.
And I finished with all my clients at my clinic yesterday. I had all my last sessions and drove away sort of in shock that that milestone is now complete.
And my graduate degree should post any day now. Really truly, oh lovely registrar employees, would you PLEASE POST MY DEGREE ALREADY?! There, now that that's out of my system.
I feel like i'm in the middle of a lot of life transitions and milestones...
And soon, it will be on to the job search and the home search, and the school loans.
I've decided that there are two ways to look at this.
I can EITHER think to myself,
"Self (cause I do talk to myself, I admit), welcome to the rat race. You've paid off a loan, gotten a degree, moved out of a house. And now it's time to start paying off a new loan, work on the new professional milestone (accruing hours toward my license), and find a new place to move into that you will eventually move out of. Cheers."
(I know, cynical, huh? But those thoughts do come.)
OR,
I can say,
"Self. Take a moment. Stop. Rest. Enjoy the view. You did it. You paid off a loan. You moved out of a house. You learned how to sit with clients in their grief and stress and questions. And you did it on the days you felt like it AND (more importantly), on the days that you didn't. Yes, you made mistakes, several, actually. But you are persevering. Step by step, rung by rung, up you go. And now, as a reward, you have a whole new slew of places to experience, lessons to learn, milestones to walk toward. Keep on movin' sister. But take a moment, first. Stop. Celebrate what you've accomplished. Thank all who've helped you along the way. And smile at the joy of a life so rich in what matters."
I can say one of those two things to myself. And while I know that there's truth in the first way of thinking, I think there's much more love and life AND truth in the second way.
The second way it is.
Here's to a car that is all my own (mileage and all) and to the job applications to come!!! :)
1 comment:
Not that long ago I had a full-time job. I worked as a copywriter and I wrote about CCs, mortgages, loans, etc. I know it may sound weird, 'cause I've never had my own cc or even applied for a loan.
When searching for info on the web, I read lots of stories about debtors. Now I cannot help but wonder, Is it really impossible to live without credit in the US? Why do you rely on credit? What about friends, family or just investing your money in a saving account? Is it a bad idea?
Post a Comment