So, I was absent in this space yesterday. Which I actually do feel badly about, as I'm trying very hard to be consistent here each day. But, here I am again, nonetheless.
There are ideas spinning around in me. But I'm not sure they have their words attached to them yet. The best words I've found for them so far are in the form of a poem sent to me by my kindred friend, Natalie. So, I share it with you:
***
From Sonnets to Orpheus - Rilke
To praise in the whole thing. A man who can praise
comes toward us like ore out of the silences of rock.
His heart, that dies, presses out for others a wine
that is fresh forever.
When the god's image takes hold of him,
his voice never collapses in the dust.
Everything turns to vineyards, everything turns
to grapes, made ready for harvest by his powerful south.
The mold in the catacomb of the king
does not suggest his praising is lies,
nor does the fact that the gods cast shadows.
He is one of the servants who does not go away,
who still stands at the door of the tomb with trays
of shining fruit.
***
I want to praise in the whole thing ... such that, with my life, I might be a part of that process, where everything turns to vineyards, everything turns to grapes. I want to be a part of growth, even when it means that I must be squeezed, sometimes crushed. Everything turns to vineyards. I want to be holding out fruit, next to the door of a tomb, proclaiming life.
May it be so.
Amen.
1 comment:
i'm so glad this poem spoke to you. i love it, so, as you well know. you are part of the "everything turns to vineyards..." it is so. love love, n
Post a Comment