Wednesday, July 20, 2011

the fight

So, apparently, you could spend your whole life "taking care of the details."  Or, apparently, I can.  But I don't think it's just me.  I think it's true for everyone.  You know the details: oil changes, mail opening, email responding, phone answering, clothes sorting, dog walking, dish-washing, cabinet-organizing, errand-running, blah, blah, blahdiddy-blah.

I've had several days off of work, as I'm waiting to start my new job (same kind of work, but a promotion! Woohoo!).  And when I found out that I was going to get a little time off, I made plans.  Massage?  Yes please.  A trip up the coast?  Uh-huh.  A day of just movies and reading?  Yep.  I'm now five days in, and guess how much of that I've done?  Zilch.  Zero.  Zip.  Nada.

I've done stuff.  Important stuff.  Bills must be paid.  Cars must be fixed.  But man...I'm getting angry.  And I'm not sure exactly what I'm angry at.  I suppose I'm just angry at how easy it is to fill your ... my ... life up with meaningless stuff.  Because it's not just a phenomenon of the last few days.  I think this kind of thing can happen for years at a time.  And before one knows it, a decade has past.  And they've still never taken that trip.

This is what's infront of me right now:


Files to be sorted, clothes to be washed, tedium and minutia.  I'm aware that you can't live a successful life without taking care of the tedium.  But, finding the balance is hard. 

And today, feels like an uphill battle.  

Hopefully, I'll be posting about a massage, or pictures of the coast, very soon.

No comments: