Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Smattering of Things

I don't have anything profound to share: 1) because I'm at the end of a long, tiring, week, and my thinking directly coordinates with the average number of hours of sleep I've gotten over the past several days, and 2) because it's a sunny Saturday, and I'm feeling lighthearted.

So ... just to check in ... a list (I like them) of a smattering of things: (I'm going to see how many times I can incorporate "smattering" into this here post, because, well, it's a great word, no?)

1) I experienced knitting rage yesterday. You'd think that'd be too oxymoronic to exist, right? Like knitting (a relaxing activity) and rage (a non-relaxing activity) would not go together. But, my friends, they did. I've knit for hours before. I know how knit, not like a pro, but you know.... Anyway, for whatever reason, I was doing something wrong yesterday, and the result looked like a cat had gotten hold of the yarn. It was a bad scene. I eventually just had to put down the needles.

2) This upcoming week is the last week of Winter quarter for my schooling, which means I have finals the week after, and then ... (bliss) ... a one week break. I'm excited. Really, really, excited.

3) I miss the beach. Funny. I never used to miss the beach. But I've been craving it lately and will have to go soon.

4) I had a VERY humbling day last Monday that involved (in no particular order): going to a place called "Bruffy's Tow," watching some sort of Japanese Mafioso remove leather suits from his very filthy Jaguar while I waited for my car, being stranded at the long term parking lot at LAX, waiting two very long hours at the DMV, being totally overwhelmed at the kindness of a friend who came to rescue me, carrying a 20-30 pound bag all over God's green earth, and being more thankful than ever for a pillow for my head at the end of it all. The shining stars of this very dark day? The realization that I have some incredible people in my life who will TRULY be here for me in the good AND the bad.

and (because 5 is a good round number....)

5) I've been bitten by the travel bug and am craving new tastes, new sounds, new smells, and the feeling of waking up in a bed and having that fleeting moment of not being sure where I am. I think those moments are liking pushing the reset button on your brain. And I'm craving them.

OK friends, that's all for now. Happy sunny Saturday to you!

No comments: