Sunday, May 24, 2009

Gone But Not Forgotten

Well hello lovely blogging friends,

I know. I know. It's been a long time. A really long time. About eight weeks, infact.

hmmm ....

WAIT A GOSH DARN MINUTE. Is it a coincidence that I'm in the eighth week of my final quarter of grad school?? I'm thinkin' maybe it's not. I'm thinkin' I don't know where the last eight weeks went ... except, of course, I do. Each of these last eight weeks started with a drive into Pasadena early on Monday morning for the first class of the week and finished with a weekly paper written on Friday night and emailed to the professor before midnight ... that was the deadline. Each week. It's been a doozie of a quarter friends. And really, I don't feel too complainey (though it probably doesn't seem like that). I actually feel really lucky to be in grad school, to have a brain that works (much of the time), and a car that faithfully carries me those 40 commuter miles whenever I ask it to, to have student loans to pay the bills (yikes), to have the support of family and friends, to have all the gracious "it's OKs" when I've called to apologize for not returning a phone call promptly, to have roommates that keep me laughing and sunshine that keeps me all full of Vitamin D. I'm thankful.

But I've been gone from this space for too long. So, I'm back.

Only I'm only kinda sorta back, because most of my brain is still stuck in "Holy Crap, I'm Graduating in Three Weeks" Ville. If there is such a place.

I miss you all. I would pay a fair government-loaned penny to have any one of you reading this sitting across from me right now at The Cornery Bakery ... where I am currently soaking up coffee and cookies as solace for paper writing. The sun is starting it's descent downward, and things are turning all golden, and I'm listening to the soothing voice of Sam Beam (of "Iron and Wine"). It's a lovely moment, really.

But you're not here, and -- though I'd rather see you -- I'm just here with me. So that's who you get. Here's what you'd be seeing if I could have the pleasure of your company.

I'm trying hard to read and research diligently.



But, I get distracted by cute babies and kids with big heads and little bodies. Why is that so cute?!



Then I realize I'm distracted and start digging deep to come up with profound, original, articulate thoughts.



But I'm tired, so I eventually feel like throwing my hands up in the air and doing this instead.



Then I think about you all ... my beautiful family and friends. I imagine you sitting across from me. And I feel happy.



And, though I'm really more of a hugger than a waver, this is all I've got.

Lots of love my wonderful peeps.

2 comments:

stephanie said...

i have missed you! (really, i check your blog almost every day. no pressure or anything. i just really like you) welcome back. :)

Megan said...

Yay welcome back friend!