Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dating Is Not For Sissies

Sometimes, I talk to myself ... not in the schizophrenic way, of course.  It's just that sometimes, I have to sit down and pretend that I'm talking to someone else in order to learn how to be kind to myself.  Why is that?  Why is it so much easier to be gentler with others than with ourselves?

Well, either way, before bed, a short letter from me ... to me:

Hi beloved,

Today's been a hard one, I know.

He doesn't want you, I know.

And for so long, it's felt like nobody does ... well, no man, at least.

And even though you know that God is looking out for you, and even though You believe He has a plan, and even though you're trying to be strong and trust that this is just your time to wait, well, this whole dating world seems incredibly random and confusing, and ... not for the faint of heart.

Your friends and family have seen your pain and tried to help ease it as best they can.  They've said things like:

"The waiting is so hard, but when you finally meet the right one, it will all feel worth it."

"32 is still young!"

"I'm so sorry, friend."

"Maybe this is just part of dating, the bitter with the sweet."

Or, my personal favorite....

"He's a douche bag."

****

You are so blessed to have such amazing friends.  But, still, there's the wound.  Of not feeling wanted. Because every woman needs to feel wanted.  

I could tell you so many things.  I could tell you that it just takes one.  I could tell you that you are the 567th billion person to experience the pain of unrequited affection for another, so, welcome to the club of humanity.  I could tell you to get busy living, and he'll show up when you're not looking for him.  I could tell you that he WILL be worth it.  I could tell you so many things.

And they're probably all true.

But, tonight, I just want you to know that I love you.  And that I think you're worth it.  And that someday, he will too.

And don't forget to keep laughing,
me


2 comments:

Bethany said...

Love you friend! Thanks for always sharing your heart :)

Julie said...

thanks for your honesty, openness, and authenticity, my dear friend.