I know it's cliche, but, really, I still must say, where did February go? It's a fruitless question, I suppose. For, whether I get an answer or not, the key idea here is that February is gone. And here is March.
Hi, March. I have a humble request. Please, oh please, will you pass more slowly? Will you force me to open my eyes and see you before you are long gone? Will you do what you can to catch my attention in the comings and goings? I know I don't like shouting, but still, I give you permission. Shout at me, please. Do what you must.
I used to think a day was a long time. And I'm not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the way, one day went from being full of swimming lessons, cartoons, Spaghettios, long afternoons playing outside with friends, long evenings playing outside with friends, dinner, dessert sitting on my dad's lap, after meal-reclining on my parents' shag carpet and an evening bath ... yes, one day went from all of that to ... up, shower, work, eat, work, eat, facebook, tv, guilt over choosing tv over gym, bed. I swear my days used to be 36 hours long.
Only they weren't. In fact, they were probably shorter, as I'm sure I kept more reasonable hours as a child. There is something to learn here ... a lesson biting its lip, waiting to be discovered. About time. About living.
I know I can't go back to the days of swimming and Spaghettios. Well, actually I could, but I've tasted Spaghettios recently, and really, why did I used to think they were so good? Anyway, I know I can't go back there. But, my soul is craving the simplicity. I remember when you had to answer the phone because you had no clue who could be calling, and you couldn't talk too long on the phone because they were others in the household who might be receiving phone calls, and there was absolutely no such thing as call waiting. Heck, I remember when you had to keep calling someone until you got him or her because answering machines were non-existent. And I know this whole rant makes me sound many years older than I am. But to heck with it. That's how I feel. And, I like prunes. So that just about makes it official.
But I'm not just ranting to rant (at least I hope not). I'm thinking about how to bring some of that simplicity into now. Because I realize that I'm the only one who can do it, and it won't - unfortunately - just happen. Lent is approaching. I'm pondering a fast from Facebook or TV or both? I don't know. What I know is that I can't slow down time. So, I need to figure out how to slow down me.
That's why I wrote tonight...even though I feel tired and just want to veg. Because I wonder if maybe the most important stuff expands time, while the fluff of life that's so easy to get lost in absorbs the hours without our being aware of it.
I'm putting a flag down, claiming today, this first day of March. Now if I can just do it again tomorrow....
3 comments:
I've been thinking so (too?) much about time lately, too, and the way that it passes so quickly and the way that I stress about it passing so quickly and how the days are too full... I'm trying hard to just learn to take the days as they come, eeking the life out of them, relishing them when they are good and knowing they will pass when they are bad. I hope we both can enjoy March. I am loving you.
I love that, Nat. "eeking the life out of them...." Yes, that's what we shall do. Thanks, kindred. Loving you too!
And yay, for the overdues being cleaned out. That's wonderful. I got your package yesterday and it made us all so happy. Thank you. Aaron is actually reading Jude the opposites book as I write this. It's sweet. And those are absolutely my favorite pictures of us as a family thus far. Thank you, thank you. Yours, N
Post a Comment