Friday, March 11, 2011

Lent - Day 3

Can you believe it?  I'm still here.  Consistency is my middle name.  Or, at least I'm working to make that so.

So, hmmm.

I give you the Friday List of Random Thoughts:

1) I love little boys.  I got a new toy I've been using in sessions recently.  It consists of a motorcycler, a ramp, and a flaming (but not really) hoop through which one aims to send the motorcycler flying.  To achieve such a feat, one has to pump a wheel, attached to the motorcycler, select the proper height for the ramp, aim the ramp so that said motorocycler faces square on and release the motorcycler such that he departs from the ramp at just the right speed.  I know I'm making this sound incredibly scientific and complex, because that's how it feels to me.  That is not, however, how it feels to several little boys I'm working with.  It's like they have a 6th sense about these things.  Because here's the thing: I feel pretty confident about my launching skills ... having now done it many, many times.  I've gotten the motorcycler through his hoop a time or two.  But, I never get it on the first time.  And inevitably, a little client of mine will sit down, assess the situation quickly - having never seen the ramp before - and tell me to raise the ramp height, or change the hoop position, or speed up my motorcycler.  And - in my mind - I think, "Um, OK kid, but last time I got it to work, the ramp was this high, or the hoop was this close, but whatever, this is therapy ... I'll take your suggestion."  And so I do what these sweet little boys tell me to do, and in great glory, the motorcycler goes flying majestically through his hoop ... which, by the way, always makes me laugh out loud, no matter how many times I see it happen.  And the boys get these big grins on their faces, proud ... in their element.  And in those moments, I feel a combination of respect for skills I do not have, and delight at getting to live in their world, where joy is found in a simple motorcycle toy.  I love little boys.  I love little girls too, of course, because I recognize them, their quiet strength.  But, I love little boys, for all the ways they help me to see differently.

2) If you read this, you know how upset I was by all the trickery that went on in a the Bible story I started reading about Jacob, Leah, and Rachel at the start of Lent.  I just have to tell you that today, in the story, Jacob finally got his vindication.  He put his foot down, stopped accepting the deception of his father-in-law, and is off to start fresh with his family.  And even though I, of course, never knew the actual Jacob, still, I am relieved.  There's a special kind of peace that comes when one lays down a boundary and says, "Enough!" at injustice.

3) Remember how I rambled on about desire and the purpose of it yesterday?  Well, it is as if one of my favorite authors - and the guy with whom I'm going through Lent - Henri Nowen, and I, are on the same page.  I have to share with you what he wrote today about desire, longing..... "By listening to our longings, we hear God as their creator...by watching carefully our endless desire to love, we come to the growing awareness that we can love only because we have been loved first and that we can offer intimacy only because we are born out of the inner intimacy of God himself."  So, it all leads back to God.  God is at the root of my desires, and if I follow them carefully, they will lead me back to His love. I'm gonna be chewing on that for quite some time.

4) And then one day, it was Spring....


Happy Friday, Beloveds.

1 comment:

stephanie said...

you know, my little boys amaze me too. they are completely incapable of cleaning up their rooms or putting on a matching, clean shirt. but they can maneuver matchbox cars perfectly down improvised ramps or build intricate catapults for launching all of their sister's treasured dolls.

and as much as they exasperate me, they also make my heart smile. :)